Thursday, March 7, 2013

Felt-tastic Projects for a DIY Birthday

Here are a few more DIY projects I decided to tack on to my already huge list of birthday to-dos. I purchased felt from the local craft store, as well as fabric tote bags to use as favors for Isabella's little guests. I wanted to personalize the favor bags so I decided to monogram their first initial using felt and my handy dandy sewing machine. For Isabella's first birthday, I made their favor bags with striped fabric and a drawstring closure and sewed tags with their names on the side. I always thinks kids will love things that have their name on them. 

Using Adobe Illustrator, I printed each child's first initial in a sizable font, outlined the letter so I use less ink and it's easier to cut out...for me. Once that was done, I transferred the paper to a piece of felt then cut the letters out. Each letter was then placed on a tote bag and I sewed around each letter, tied a thank you tag on the handle, filled the bag with a book about a famous artist, art supplies (mini water color, mini crayons, coloring book, candy) and it's ready for their eager hands!

With the leftover felt, I made a mini pendant streamer with Isabella's name on it to attach to the cake. I cut out little triangles with pink felt, then cut out her name with white. I attached each letter to a triangle with a quick pass in my sewing machine. After sewing each triangle together, I attached the streamer to two dowels. Placed the dowels onto the cake and Voila! Done! 

The last felt project was her crown. I had made a felt crown for her last year and now I think it's become a tradition. Using the colors of her party, I retraced the template I used last year. Using pink felt as the base and gray as the background, I cut out circles of light blue and yellow to decorate the crown. Lastly, I stitched the number 2 on the center front, and cut inside the lines to bring out the gray background. I added elastic to the back and her crown is done! Lot of work, but honestly, so worth it!



  














Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Paper Mobiles

On to decoration #2...paper mobiles. You can get the full tutorial here. In the tutorial she used vellum, but for the one I made, I used the same paper that I used for the paper lanterns. I thought that would tie everything in better with the rest of the decorations. I also made them shorter since I didn't want it to be in the way of the food for the guests. Since I used mostly things I already had in the house, I used regular sewing thread and instead of artist' tape, I used clear packing tape. Before taping the mobile to the ceiling, I put the tape on my arm, hand..wherever..to lessen the tackiness. This way I didn't have to worry about pulling the paint off my ceiling. Lastly, I negated the fishing weight. I didn't think I needed it. Overall, I think these modern mobiles are fantastic and super easy to make. I would definitely make them again...for a shower, birthday, pretty much anything.






Monday, March 4, 2013

Celebrating TWO! A DIY Birthday...

My apologies, it has been awhile since my last post. The past few weeks I had been busy coming up with ideas for Isabella's 2nd Birthday. I knew I was going to have an art party for her. She loves to draw and paint and simply..create. I based all her decorations on the colors: pink, yellow and light blue. I took the colors off of these pretty napkins my sister had purchased for me at Home Goods.

My first project was to re-create the everyday paper lantern. I had seen a picture on the mylittlejedi blog of paper lanterns for her son's 3rd birthday party. I, of course, said to myself, "Oh, I could make that." Next day, headed to the local craft store, and purchased 3 white paper lanterns and a 2 1/2" circle cutter.  At home, I gathered my hot glue gun and 3 shades of pink, blue and yellow. I figured out you can get about 12 circles per page and I used 6 pages of each shade...that's A LOT of circles. After I cut them out, I started from the bottom and worked my way up. Using the lighter of the colors first, I hot glued each circle onto the lantern, overlapping slightly. I created 3 rows of each color to create a sort of ombré effect. I was very happy with how they all turned out. I will continue to post the other DIY decorations I did for her birthday.










Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...